Header Ads

Thank you, Daft Punk, for one of the weirdest MVs of my childhood

ICYMI, French electronic music duo Daft Punk has split. Even casual genre listeners like myself know how much of a big deal this is, as the group has been around since forever – or 28 years to be exact.

They’ve found success in every decade, churning out hits that you may or may not have known were from them. Who could forget ‘Around the World’, the unofficial background theme for MYX and their daily song charts back in the early 2000s? Or Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger’, which introduced EDM to the mainstream? And of course, One More Time and that surreal music video.

My relationship with One More Time is sentimental. As a 7-year-old kid who lived and breathe Saturday morning cartoons, I was utterly confused when I first saw the visuals on TV.

Blue animated aliens having a concert – is this some sort of a preview to an upcoming anime? The art style sure looks like it. Why are they singing in ‘robotic’ voices (which I’ll later know as ‘auto-tune’)? By the end, sinister villains from Gundam were invading the concert. What the heck was going on?

MVs for me, before Daft Punk, were simply artists making cutesy faces while their band occasionally plays behind them. Not Sailor Moon characters who were seemingly high during their performance. I was weirded out, but one thing’s for sure: It was a definite bop, which only added further confusion.

Thank you, Daft Punk, for my conflicting childhood emotions and for the lesson that yes, good things can come in unusual packages.

Pixel 8Bit GIF by joojaebum - Find & Share on GIPHY

The post <b> Thank you, Daft Punk, for one of the weirdest MVs of my childhood </b> appeared first on WE THE PVBLIC.


Source: we the pvblic

No comments

Powered by Blogger.